Computational Fluid Dynamics
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD), is a simulation tool used for analyzing complex thermal and fluid phenomena. It is instrumental in maintaining the safety of many products we use on a day to day basis, such as an automobile or even the house we live in. Visualizing the complicated movements of a gas or liquid flow can be quite convoluted. By implementing Simulation Software such as, SCTetra into the workflow, analyzing these movements is easier than ever. It enables the user to predict the performance of their products before physical testing. This results in a more optimized design early in the product development cycle. In some cases, simulation can even replace the need for physical testing, altogether. Utilizing SCTetra will provide engineers with the understanding of these type of movements and an easy to use tool that anyone could implement.
Role of CFD in engineering
One of the foremost expectations of today's product driven companies is that they bring high value-added products that meet customer's needs to the market quickly. In addition, successful companies proactively identify application scenarios that could result in unsatisfactory performance, product failures, and customer dissatisfaction and/or develop design solutions that mitigate the potential risks.
Thermo-fluid analysis software is indispensable for "Front-loading" product development to ensure the best product concepts are identified early in the design process. Design quality will be improved during the conceptual design phase by conducting basic studies of fluid and thermal phenomena that directly affect product performance. During the detailed design phase, simulations are conducted under conditions similar to what the actual product will experience. From this work, design engineers can understand the source of problems that limit performance and investigate alternate design solutions before production begins.
MSC's CFD Software offers many specialized functions:
- Aerospace and defense: subsonic and supersonic flow, vehicle aerodynamics, conjugate heat transfer
- Automotive: Cabin climate, aeroacoustics noise, sloshing of fluids, exhaust, aerodynamics, engine cooling, defrosting, gearbox
- Consumer products: acoustics, passive/active cooling, bicycle helmets
- Electronics: part maker, PCB thermal analysis, cooling, LED analysis
- Shipbuilding: acoustics, propeller design, cavitation
- Machinery: large ventilation fans, gas turbines, wind turbines, steam turbines, pumps, washing machines, turbochargers